Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) and Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
There are a number of different levels of addiction treatment available, allowing a wide variety of people struggling with addiction to obtain treatment that fits them best. Some of the most widely-known treatment options include residential (or inpatient) treatment and outpatient treatment. But, in between residential and outpatient are two additional options for care: partial hospitalization programs (PHP) and intensive outpatient programs (IOP).
What is a Partial Hospitalization Program?
Partial Hospitalization Programming or Day Treatment Program (PHP) offers outpatient addiction treatment services, such as group counseling, individual therapy, family therapy and access to medical care, if needed. Guests attend clinical programming at the facility 5 days a week for about 4-6 hours each day, while either living at Pearl of the Sea or still residing at home. PHP is a more intensive program than typical outpatient programs, which may only meet once or twice a week. This program is often used as a step-down service once someone has completed an inpatient program.
What is an Intensive Outpatient Program?
Intensive outpatient treatment program (IOP) offers outpatient treatment services for people with substance use disorders or co-occurring mental and substance use disorders who do not require medical detoxification or 24-hour supervision. This program is designed to establish psycho-social supports and facilitate relapse management and coping strategies. Guests attend clinical programming at the facility 3 days a week for 3-4 hours each day, while still residing at home. IOP is an alternative to our residential treatment program and is often used as a step-down from the residential or PHP level of care.
Who is PHP/IOP For?
PHP and IOP levels of care are best for people who do not require 24-hour supervision, but who would still benefit from a high level of support. Generally speaking, this includes individuals who:
- Have already completed a higher level of addiction treatment
- Do not need medical services during their treatment
- Require a stable, involved treatment program but who do not need the intensity of a residential treatment program
All clients who participate in our PHP or IOP programs will be stabilized at the time of their participation, meaning that they must be fully detoxed or have stopped their substance abuse. Most individuals enter the PHP or IOP level of care upon completion of inpatient detoxification program and residential program; however, some individuals may forgo higher levels of care and enter directly into PHP or IOP. Each client’s decision is unique to their own personal needs and recovery goals, making every situation slightly different than the next. Thankfully, PHP and IOP programs can meet the needs of several individuals looking to improve their lives.
What Can Be Expected at a PHP or IOP?
In a PHP/IOP program, all clients can expect to receive a full, in-depth mental health assessment. This not only allows our team to identify the most obvious needs of the client, but also those that are underlying. Gathering additional information via an intake evaluation helps the team get to know the client more as well as allows them to begin developing an individualized treatment plan for the client.
Those who are in a PHP or an IOP program will participate in a comprehensive recovery program in which they work closely with our team of many different treatment professionals, including doctors, nurses, social workers, therapists, and psychiatrists. This is not a long-term, structured day program intended to achieve or maintain stability for individuals with severe and persistent mental illness. Instead, it is ideal for those who do not require such a level of care.
Benefits of PHP/IOP Programming
There are several benefits of participating in a partial hospitalization program or an intensive outpatient program. These programs have proven time and time again that they offer substantial assistance for those who are prepared to stop their substance abuse behaviors and begin a life of recovery. At Pearl of the Sea Retreats, we are pleased to provide these programming options, all of which offer the following benefits:
- Structure – PHP’s and IOP’s offer a sound level of structure for all clients. That is because within these programs, there are set times where clients come to the facility for care. Plus, the frequency with which they visit offers continuous exposure to professional treatment on a regular basis.
- Accountability – Being accountable for one’s actions is one of the most critical skills a person can develop in recovery. When connected to a PHP or IOP, individuals have a place to be at a certain time of day and they have an oath to remain sober while participating. They will make connections with others in the program that will also help encourage them to stay the course, helping to improve recovery odds.
- Skills – All treatment programs, including PHP’s and IOP’s, help clients build strong skill sets that will keep them in recovery for the long haul. Some of the skills that clients can develop can include relapse prevention skills, communication skills, and emotional regulation skills.
- Support- There is a great deal of support to be obtained from both the staff at Pearl of the Sea Retreats and the other clients in the program. Having others to lean on during a vulnerable time as this is a priceless benefit, as the support of others can help everyone along in the process of recovery.
PHP and IOP Programming in St. Augustine
At Pearl of the Sea Retreat, we can help you or your loved one stop the continuous, dangerous cycle of substance abuse today. Our PHP and IOP programs are second-to-none, and we also provide other services that can help you or a loved one make the changes needed to say goodbye to a life of active addiction and hello to a life of recovery.
Words from Guests
My stay at the Pearl was a very Good experience for me. I Love the people that work there. I met some Great people in the program as well. I have a huge support team. To the staff you all are Awesome. Thank You so much for everything.
The Pearl of the Sea is such a beautiful place in a serene and peaceful healing environment. The staff are very caring, compassionate and committed to providing the best care for the clients.
The Pearl offers exceptional substance abuse treatment. It is a 30 day treatment program. Beautiful views, amazing staff, good food, and a luxurious place to really work on yourself. I highly recommend Pearl of the Sea to anyone looking to recover from substance use disorder.
Articles for Recovery
Contact Us Now
Address: 7601 A1A South St. Augustine, Florida 32080